Before you attempt to nail those triples on your new dirt bike, you’ll need to invest in some essential gear, especially riding gear. When racing around the track, body protection is essential, and nothing is more vital than the best motocross helmet. You probably did some homework before purchasing your bike, and you should do the same before purchasing any new helmet.
According to scientific research, a motocross helmet differs from a street bike or motorcycle helmet in appearance. The expanded chin protection on a dirt bike helmet is meant to keep you safe from the roost. Best Motocross helmets also include more ventilation to keep the rider cool, as they use much more energy at lower speeds.
We did our expert research to choose the best motocross helmets that will keep you protected while you enjoy your ride. So let’s begin with our list of the 9 best motocross helmets.
1. Shoei VFX-EVO Helmet
- Improved air intake thanks to a larger mouthpiece
- Mudguard that has been ergonomically designed
- Snell M2015 and the Department of Transportation have both been authorized.
- For goggle users, the use of expanded rib forms across the back improves the strap-holding effectiveness.
- The helmet might make a noise.
The Shoei VFX-EVO Helmet is the latest generation of the famous VFX-W. The VFX-liner EVO’s has the M.E.D.S. (Motion Energy Distribution System), an EPS module designed to cushion abrupt impacts by decreasing rotational acceleration to the head.
The shell is made of AIM+, a high-performance composite of fiberglass and organic fibers. The outcome is a hard yet flexible framework. The dirt barrier is shaped to not interfere with eyewear. Dedicated plastic tabs secure the mudguard in place during off-road riding.
The bracing nose cover is easy to clean and maintain and contains mesh to filter dirt and dust and aluminum mesh to prevent roosts from entering the mouth. The VFX-new EVO’s adjustable visor defaults to the top position, as many elite riders prefer.
To ensure upward visibility, the visor top is aligned with the helmet shell. A unique screw fastening nut inserted beneath the upper center of the visor secures it in place and prevents it from coming loose and falling into the helmet.
- Lightweight: The Advanced Integrated Matrix Plus (AIM+) shell architecture blends high-performance fibers with organic fibers to create a shell structure that is lightweight, stiff, and robust while also being strong and durable at the same time.
- Ventilation System: Cool air enters the helmet through the front intake vents, cools the interior of the helmet and is expelled through the rear intake vents as a result of the force of negative air pressure.
2. Alpinestars Supertech M10 Carbon Helmet
A lightweight carbon fiber shell comes in 4 sizes for the Alpinestars Supertech S-M10 Carbon helmet. Its visor release mechanism secures the visor/peak yet releases it when hit. Alpinestars offers two peaks with two distinct perspectives to suit the rider.
The ventilation is excellent, with several input and exit openings connected by airways that snake throughout. Inner lining combines protection and comfort fabrics. In addition to impact absorption, MIPS-E2 liners defend against rotational energy.
Alpinestars’ A-Head system is an adjustable head frame that allows you to customize your fit. The bottom lip of the helmet is cushioned with EPP foam to prevent collarbone damage. The Alpinestars Supertech S-M10 Carbon Helmet is a protective motocross helmet loaded to the brim with safety features.
- Ventilation: With 19 intake and 5 exhaust openings, there is maximum ventilation.
- Protection: In the event of a collision, the side shell form combined with soft EPP foam will help to reduce harm to the collarbone.
- Easy to Remove: Emergency release cheek pads with 3D molded foam that are easily removable.
3. Bell MX-9 MIPS Helmet
- It has a chin bar with EPS padding
- It comes with an integrated roost guard with ventilation
- The helmet has ankle braces with a D-ring clasp and strap keepers. Padded chin strap.
- The warranty is valid for five years.
- DOT and ECE certifications are available.
- Value for money.
- The helmet is quite loud.
- When the visor is in position, the plastic knobs that keep it in place tend to come loose.
When the riding becomes tough, Bell’s Velocity-Flow ventilation system pushes a tonne of cold air in and a tonne of warm air out to keep you feeling cool and comfortable. The Bell MX 9 Helmet is equipped with a moisture-wicking liner that is meant to channel air where it is needed. The liner is completely detachable and machine washable.
- Protection and Durability: Rotational impact energy displacement is substantially enhanced using the MIPS Multi-Directional Impact Protection System (MDIPS).
- Easy to clean: Comfort liner with air channels that is moisture-wicking and removable/washable.
- Lightweight: The helmet is constructed with a polycarbonate shell which is light in weight and easy to wear.
4. Arai VX Pro 4 Helmet
- It includes a Dry-Cool inside liner that is entirely detachable and washable.
- During a lengthy ride, it helps to keep your head cooler and drier.
- The visual field is quite prominent.
- It is simple to remove the liner for cleaning and replacement.
- Value for money
- According to appearances, the louvers may be readily broken apart.
The Arai VX Pro 4 Helmet replaces the legendary Arai VX Pro-3. The Arai VX Pro4 dirt helmet is for the serious off-road enthusiast who demands maximum comfort and protection. There is less surface mass to grab or bind on the round shell form based on Arai’s R75 Shape Concept.
The new internal Dry-Cool liner and cheek pads utilize Arai’s distinctive triple-density foam construction for comfort and convenience of use. The eyeport is exceptionally broad, allowing even the biggest goggles to provide a panoramic vision.
The VX Pro vents have all been modified, including the chin vent, which has been relocated to the exterior of the helmet, making the chin region roomier. The other vents have also been redesigned to improve ventilation. Snell 2020 and DOT approved.
- Shell: A specifically developed composite fiber is placed between two layers of Super Fiber Laminate in CLC (complex Laminate construction). To strengthen the helmet without adding much weight, we used composite fiber.
- The Facial Contour System (FCS): uses a foam spring support in the cheek pad that compresses and rebounds when you remove or put on the helmet to provide an even more snug fit and comfort to the lower jaw.
- Ventilation: Easy-to-clean diffusers generate a powerful venturi vacuum at the back—increased airflow from the top vent. Cooling air is drawn into the helmet from under the peak. In dusty riding situations, the inner chin vent shutter keeps debris out—Goggle and side vents.
5. HJC CS-MX 2 Helmet
- It comes with an interior with innovative SuperCoolTM antibacterial fabric that wicks away moisture and eliminates odors.
- It has contoured, multi-layer cheek pads that provide the best fit and comfort possible.
- The helmet grooves for putting on spectacles
- It has a liner that is removable and machine washable
- It comes with double D-Rings are used to close the bag.
- The Polycarbonate Composite is used in its construction.
- No negatives have been shown yet.
In addition to having an extremely wide field of vision, the HJC CS-MX 2 Helmet also has ventilation channels that are carefully placed to force cool air in and hot air out.
Using the Full front-to-back airflow, the HJC CS-MX 2 Helmet will keep your head cool and comfortable while riding. This airflow flushes heat and humidity up and out of the rear of the helmet. An advanced polycarbonate composite shell has been used in the construction of the shell, which meets all applicable DOT requirements.
The goggle also features a novel design that includes an exclusive visor as well as a wide eye-opening for optimum vision and a superior goggle fit. The detachable and washable Plush Nylex inner lining provides a comfy and stylish interior.
- Shell made of advanced polycarbonate composite material
- A revolutionary design with a one-of-a-kind visor
- Advanced computer-aided design (CAD) technology provides lightweight, improved fit and comfort.
6. Fox Racing V1 Matte Helmet
- It is possible to keep your head cool because of the huge number of air openings (nine intakes and four exhausts) without needing to move at breakneck speed.
- The helmet is extremely light in weight.
- All of the components, including the cheek pads and helmet liner, are detachable and washable.
- You will be able to remove the visor from the helmet with relative ease for cleaning purposes.
- Because of the MVRS system, the position of the visor cannot be adjusted.
- At the expense of MIPS technology, which is found in the top-of-the-line Fox V3, this lid does not have any type of rotating force control mechanism.
Designed for racing, the Fox Racing V1 Helmet is a lightweight, race-ready helmet that provides an ultra-precise fit thanks to four different shell sizes. This unparalleled level of attention to detail is matched even further by the fact that each shell size is equipped with an impact-absorbing EPS layer that is specifically tailored to its size.
The MIPS slip lining helps to reduce rotating forces, which are prevalent in off-road riding, and so helps the helmet fulfill both DOT and ECE certification requirements for safety. Several intakes and exhaust vents help to keep the rider cool, and washable interior liners and cheek pads help to keep the helmet smelling fresh as well.
During a tumble, the V1 Helmet’s unique Magnetic Visor Release System for the sun peak is activated, which protects the peak from damage and, more significantly, prevents any wrenching forces from being transferred to the rider’s neck.
- Quality: For an entry-level lid, the V1 has excellent finish quality. Earlier, we evaluated a matte finish that was easy to clean and didn’t mark.
- Style: This helmet’s design is crisp, clean, and tidy. The visor isn’t an afterthought; it’s nicely integrated into the shell design. Plus, the large eyeport supports contemporary goggle frames, even with a nose guard.
7. 6D ATR-2 Helmet
- It has emergency cheek pads with a quick-release mechanism
- The helmet has 6D’s unique Sternum Pad is included in the PU-Over molded EPP lined chin bar.
- It comes with visor screws with a shear-away design
- With the help of the Nose Guard, you may increase your roost protection.
- The D-Rings are made of titanium.
- The nose liner is barely glued in place, and the strap barely fits through the metal hooks on the sides of the glasses.
The 6D ATR-2 Off-Road Helmet is the most sophisticated energy management device ever made. The Omni-Directional System of the 6D ATR-2 Helmet is designed around elastomeric dampers that allow the inside EPS liner to move independently of the denser outer EPP (expanded polypropylene) foam layer. This ODS technology was fine-tuned by 6D while working with the NFL on the Head Health Challenge.
Above all, it reduces rotational pressures on the brain. But this unusual construction also enables for replacement after an impact. The design is a helmet within a helmet. The exterior EPP foam is meant to absorb stress and recover after a collision, unlike expanded polystyrene. If the outer shell is not broken or punctured, the helmet can be sent to 6D for repair.
- Advanced ODS System with the ability to be rebuilt
- The tri-composite shell has been optimized for lightness.
- The comfort liner is removable and machine washable. Dri-Lex anti-bacterial fabric that is authentic.
- The integrated shell recess at the eyeport area of the goggle band enhances the fit and seal of the goggle.
8. Troy Lee SE4 Polyacrylite Mono Helmet
- The impact break-away is made simple using plastic visor screws and brass inserts.
- A total of 16 intake apertures route cold air around and over a rider’s head, pushing heated air to escape.
- The sweaty air is vented out by six back exhaust vents.
- It includes a helmet bag with drawstrings by Troy Lee Designs.
- The helmet is DOT, and ECE certifications are required.
- No drawbacks
The Troy Lee Designs Youth Freedom Helmet is a contemporary and vibrant design that is sure to attract attention. The MIPS technology in the Troy Lee Designs Youth Freedom Helmet is included since safety is the number one priority when you’re out riding. MIPS provides extra brain protection in the event of a severe rotational collision. Having 16 intake ports that circulate cool air into and around your head ensures that you stay cool and comfortable when riding in this helmet while on the road.
- The MIPS brain protection system minimizes rotational forces that are applied to the skull.
- Chin bar made of EPP (Expanded PolyPropylene) for lightweight, long-lasting protection
- Three shell sizes are available to better suit a variety of head sizes and rider ages, resulting in increased overall safety for the rider.
- Anatomical – 3D-shaped cheek pads with emergency release system for first responders and paramedics.
9. 509 Altitude Helmet
- The 509 goggles are a perfect fit.
- Trim for the eye-port in one piece
- Eight large intake and exhaust ports in total.
- Included is a universal camera mount.
- Fidlock magnetic strap that is simple to open
- It comes with a box for taking deep breaths
- DOT and ECE certifications are available.
- Some users found its narrow
Fearless drive to develop and innovate led to the Altitude. It is the result of scrutinizing every aspect and asking how it may be better. Safety, Performance, Fit, and Style were all considered when designing and building this helmet.
It features a dual-layer, interlocking EPS foam lining for superior crash protection. The front chin area of the helmet is further covered by a specially developed expanded polyurethane chin insert. The exterior shell is composed of a thermoplastic polymer alloy for optimum strength and low weight.
The helmet’s whole shape has aerodynamic channels—these tubes in the shell guide airflow into the vent scoops. The Altitude Helmet has 6 inbuilt vent scoops to keep you cool while riding. The Altitude has 8 total intake/exhaust vents. For the courageous and crazy high altitude snowmobile riders that love to explore the snow.
- Safety: The 509 altitude helmet fulfills or exceeds the requirements of the Department of Transportation and the European Commission’s 2205 safety standards.
- Performance: The helmet has unique aerodynamic channels that run along the contours. The channels in the helmet are joined directly into the shell, directing airflow through the helmet’s specifically constructed vent scoops.
- Style: The customer is attracted to the model’s attractiveness as much as its performance and safety. Thus, the style aspect was a significant priority in the helmet’s creation.
Things To Consider When Buying Best Motocross Helmets
Weight of the Helmet
A helmet’s weight generally ranges from 1400 to 1800 grams, depending on the model and materials used. The secret to losing weight is wearing a helmet that is correctly fitted. The weight of your body is evenly distributed across your head and shoulders.
The materials used in the construction of the helmet have an impact on a variety of aspects, including weight, comfort, and safety rating. The majority of helmets are made of polycarbonate, fiberglass composite, and carbon fiber.
Do you enjoy graphic design that is both wild and eye-catching? Do you like a more subdued appearance, such as a basic solid color look? Helmets with graphics are generally more expensive than those without graphics.
Helmet liners that are removable and washable. Others are made up of antimicrobial and antibacterial substances.
The Department of Transportation (DOT) of the United States establishes a minimum required degree of protection for helmets to be worn by drivers.
What characteristics distinguish a decent dirt bike helmet?
Ans: Lightweight and durable dirt bike helmets are made possible by the use of high-quality shells composed of carbon fiber and other comparable materials. A high-quality motocross helmet will be equipped with a unique system that will absorb impact and rotational forces. It might be made up of many layers of foam or a system like 6D’s ODS.
What is the best way to determine what size motocross helmet to purchase?
Ans: It doesn’t get much easier than this to get a helmet fit. And all you’ll need is a soft tape measure or a piece of string to get started.
Are dirt bike helmets a safe investment?
Ans: When compared to a dual-sport helmet, a full-face helmet does not offer the same level of protection that a dirt bike helmet does. Dirt helmets are often designed with large sun peaks to protect riders from the glare of the sun. Because dirt helmets do not have visors, they are equipped with a sun peak to protect their eyes from ultraviolet radiation and heat.
Our ultimate guide of best motocross helmets has some of the best dirt bike helmets you can easily purchase. We hope that you find the right helmet for you with the help of this comprehensive list along with the buying guide. Enjoy Riding!